Botox™ is used to make lines or wrinkles between the eye brows look better. It only lasts for a short time.
What is Botox™?
• Botox™ comes from a kind of bacteria. The bacteria can make you very sick. But doctors have found that a chemical in Botox™ can also help treat some health problems. They have been using it safely for many years.
How was this found?
• FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved Botox™ over 10 years ago to treat certain problems with the eye muscle. Doctors noticed that some wrinkles around the eyes looked better, too. The company that makes Botox™ tested it. They showed the FDA that Botox™ worked and was safe for treating some kinds of wrinkles.
How does Botox™ work?
• Wrinkles may be caused when a muscle tightens. Botox™ is injected through the skin into the muscle. The Botox™ keeps the muscle from tightening. When the muscle can't tighten, the wrinkle doesn't show as much.
You mean you can't move your muscles?
• A doctor trained in the use of Botox™ will inject small amounts of Botox™ into the muscle. Only the treated muscle can't move.
What happens over time?
Botox™ works for about four months. As the muscle returns to normal, you will see the wrinkle again.
Are there any side effects?
Side effects may include:
* Droopy eyelids, which can last for a few weeks
* Feeling like you have the flu
* Headache and upset stomach
* Risk of botulism (a life or death illness that makes it hard for a person to move the arms and legs or to breathe) is low with Botox™, if used the right way
REMEMBER- Botox™ is a drug, not a cosmetic.
What should I do if I want to try Botox™?
* Ask about how Botox™ could help or hurt you
* Make sure your doctor is trained in the use of Botox™
* Make sure you get treatment in a doctor's office or clinic
* Emergency equipment should be on hand in case of a problem
* Do not use if you are pregnant or think you might be pregnant
* Do not use if you are breast feeding
* Tell your doctor if you are taking antibiotics
* Tell your doctor if you have any problems with nerves or muscles
Quick Facts About Botox:
Are "Botox parties" safe?
No. You should only get Botox in a clinic or doctor's office. You should never share a tube of Botox.
Can I use Botox on other wrinkles?
Botox is only approved to treat wrinkles between the eyebrows.
Can I get Botox at any age?
Botox is only approved for people 18-65 years old. It has not been tested on people under 18 or over 65.
To learn more:
American Academy of Dermatology | Phone: 1-888-462-3376
American Society for Dermatologic Surgery | Phone: 1-800-441-2737